Are Ball Pits Good For Babies? – A Safety Guide
Babies, toddlers, children, and those young at heart love ball pits. It's considered an indoor playground, and you'd normally find one in the middle of a mall or at an arcade. They emerged in the years 1980-1990. Some parents even buy these interactive installations for their children's birthday parties. But, the question is, are ball pits good for babies?
More About Ball Pits
A ball pit is a place for fun where kids can dive in, throw balls at their siblings, and enjoy a time spent with family and friends. However, some dangers come with these playgrounds. In this article, we'll be discussing what dangers ball pits pose to your kids. Remember, even though it's fun to play in these, it can still be very dangerous to your babies. Now, it's time to answer your question, are ball pits good for babies?
The Dangers of Ball Pits
Now, what exactly are the dangers of ball pits?
- Well, first off – GERMS. Because there are so many children playing simultaneously in a secluded area, you can't account for what's in the pit. According to a study carried out by the University of North Georgia, these indoor playgrounds can be contaminated with feces, urine, and dirt brought by the other kids. So are ball pits good for babies? Because of these germs, your babies can get exposed to potentially serious illnesses.
- If you know that your kids have weakened immune systems or are prone to cuts and grazes when they're playing, then perhaps you should keep them from ball pits. Consider these pits as breeding grounds for all kinds of bacteria and germs that have yet to be thoroughly cleaned. But if you can't stop your kids from playing in them, then ensure that their cuts are bandaged up and clean their hands after playing. For babies, the threat is tripled because they're more susceptible.
- The third thing you should look out for when you let kids play in ball gits is possibly getting injured. Not health-wise but safety-wise. Kids of all sizes join together in this small space. Your baby, who could be smaller in frame and height, might get trampled or hurt while they're in the middle of playing. These common accidents can cause bruises and bumps along the way.
The last thing you should look out for – items other kids could be bringing into the pit. It's very easy to lose valuables and things when several children are playing inside a ball pit. However, losing them isn't the main issue here. It's what happens when they get stuck inside this indoor playground that has parents worried. Items that have sharp edges can hurt other children when they're playing with the balls. And even jewelry – such as necklaces or bracelets – can get caught in other children's hair or on the equipment's sides.
Keeping Your Child Safe in Ball Pits
- Now before you tell your children why they shouldn't go into ball pits, there are a few steps you can do to ensure their safety. After all, you don't want to rain on their parade now, do you? While a ball pit does pose so many health threats and safety risks for your babies, these problems can still be addressed through proper hygiene and safety rules before these kids can be let in.
- In tackling germs, don't forget to cover up any open cuts and grazes on your baby's skin. This keeps the germs and bacteria from entering their system. If your baby has a fever or feels sick, don't let them play in the ball pit as their symptoms might worsen. Moreover, after they're done playing, make sure they thoroughly clean their hands and stay sanitized.
- Are ball pits good for babies? For kids' safety when they're playing in the ball pit, make sure you have your eyes on them at all times. If they disappear under the balls, it cannot be easy to locate them. And some children might unknowingly jump on them or trample over them. To address this problem, tell the kids that they shouldn't bury themselves in the balls because they can get seriously injured. Additionally, tell the kids to empty their pockets before they enter the pit. This prevents any sharp items or jewelry from hurting them along the way.
Are ball pits good for babies? We want everything for our kids – happiness, joy, and love. But most of all, we want to protect them. Before you let your babies play in ball pits, consider the pros and cons of the situation. These problems can easily be fixed, but is it worth the trouble? Hopefully, this article has cleared any doubts you have in mind. Get more tips on play pens.
April 6, 2021
By: Rachel Welsh
Whatever our age is, we find gaga ball pits as a call for ballyhoos! This game is so exciting to watch and play, especially when it makes us sweat.
April 6, 2021
By: Rachel Welsh
One of the things that would be awesome for you to learn as a parent is to learn how to make a ball pit for toddlers. It is one of the most popular ways to get your kid off of the gadgets or to have them exercise.