As a parent, it’s exciting to witness your babies’ milestones. However, not all these milestones are easy to handle. One of these is when your child is in the teething phase. This can be uncomfortable most of the time. To help their babies, parents try to provide teething toys that could take away the discomfort. But are teething toys good for babies?
Teething and Their Symptoms
Teething results in sore gums and could cause babies’ discomfort and irritability. The symptoms vary in every baby. Some babies can have nights of disturbed sleep because of teething. This happens as early as three months old and as late as 14 months old.
Teething is one of the most challenging stages in babies’ childhood. Most babies in this phase will cry in pain, and others even develop rashes. There are also cases when babies experience diarrhea or dehydration and even fever. So, are teething toys good for babies? With all the discomfort the baby will go through when the teeth start developing, the only thing you can do is help him overcome with the use of teether. So, it will be a useful device for them.
What are Teething Toys?
Teething toys are devices used to relieve the babies from pain caused by teething. This is usually made of gum gel or soft plastic. These toys help alleviate pain. Chewing and biting these toys helps a lot. It even contributes to the fast sprouting of the tiny whites. So, if you are asking, are teething toys good for babies? A lot of parents will definitely say yes. Teething toys are good for babies because they can make your baby relieve the challenge of sprouting white pearls. But what kind of teething toys are right for your babies?
Types of Teething Toys
There are different teething toys available in the market. And as a parent, you need to learn the types of teething toys, so you will know which of these are best suitable for your baby to have.
Here are a few common teething toys parents used to provide to their babies:
- Teething Rings. Teething rings are the traditional teethers that parents usually give to their babies. It forms a ring for babies to hold with additional details and decorations. It has a rough texture that will rub onto the baby’s gums. Most of this type is made of solid plastic, while others are soft transparent plastic filled with water. Parents usually refrigerate it to give the baby’s gums a cold compress effect as he bites.
- Rubberized Teething Toys. Some teething toys are made from natural rubber, which provides an excellent teething texture. Most of these teethers are assembled to form into figures of animals or objects and coated with bright, attractive colors. These teethers are what manufacturers attach to strollers, jumpers, and even baby walkers.
- Teething Jewelry. This type of teethers has become a game-changer. Babies can attach these accessorize their bodies, and at the same time, they have something to play and bite, especially when you are away from home. It ranges from necklaces to bracelets made from safe, non-toxic material.
- Novelty Teethers. Most parents love this type of teether. It will not only help babies with their painful gums, but it also supports brain development. This type of teether comes in different shapes and colors. It can also be in the form of fruits and alphabetical letters. So, are teething toys good for babies? With these teething toys, your child will be able to familiarize different shapes, colors, and even food and fruits.
Other Ways to Help your Baby Overcome Teething Stage
When babies’ gums began to show white lines, they will start to feel uncomfortable. And as parents, what you can do is help them and be by their side until the teething stages end. Aside from giving your babies teething toys, there are also other ways to help them.
- Serve a Teethers Cookies. Many companies have acknowledged the need to make cookies that will serve as a teether. These cookies will provide them with delicious treats, and will also help them relieve the pain they feel in their gums. So, if your baby is already comfortable with solid foods, you can let them have cookies or biscuits as snacks. The texture of these foods will provide relief for their aching gums.
- Teething Gels. There are lots of different teething gels available in the market. This gel provides a cold feeling that will help your little ones manage the gum pains. However, some gels are made of harsh chemicals, so better consult your pediatrician first before securing one.
- Cold Foods. Frozen foods are one of the things you can provide for your babies to help babies with their painful gums. You can serve yogurt or frozen fruits or vegetables that are sliced into sticks or small bites. Be careful when serving them these solids as it might choke them. Always supervise them when they eat.
When your little one is teething, it’s difficult to watch them bear the pain, but this is part of the baby’s growing up years. This is part of every child’s developmental milestone that babies need to go through. While teething can be hard for you and your babies, you must make sure that you are there to help them relieve the pain by providing the safest teether that they can use. But are teething toys good for babies? Teethers are made to help babies, but as parents, you need to make sure that the ones you get for them are made from safe and non-toxic materials. Get more tips on teething.