Driving from one place to another with a baby will require you to have a car seat exclusively for your baby. It is to make sure that they are secured while on a moving vehicle. But how long do babies stay in infant car seat? We already know that babies grow so fast, but does it mean that you also need to replace their car seats as well? It is the most common question that parents ask as their babies grow up. There are a lot of ways that you can do to make sure that your baby is still using the same infant car seat they have. As long as it is still in good condition, then you can use it for as long as it can handle your baby’s size and weight.
Different Types of Car Seats
Figuring out how long do babies stay in infant car seat will depend on the type of car seat that you will choose. There are many parents who are confused about what type of car seat to get for their baby. If you are one of those parents, here are the different types of car seats that you might want to consider. It will also help you answer how long do babies stay in infant car seats.
- Rear-facing/infant only – This type of car seat is a snap-in and out type of car seat so that it will be easier for you to move your baby. Most of the time, this type of car seat also fits on a stroller or can function as a basket so that you can easily carry your baby wherever you go. Once your baby is grown, they can still use this type of car seat up to two years of age or when they weigh 40lbs.
- Convertible – There are infant car seats where you can convert it from a rear-facing seat to a forward-facing seat. This kind of car seat usually lasts longer because it is flexible and can handle up to 60lbs of weight.
- Combination – A lot of parents prefer to have a combination of a stroller and a car seat so that it will help them save more money. It is also convenient for them to carry their babies around with this type of infant car seat.
- Booster – A booster is an elevated seat that your 2-year old can use so that they will be tall enough to use the seat belt. This type of car seat lasts longer because it can handle up to 60lbs of weight, which means you can use it even if your child reaches the age of 5 years old.
Infant Car Seat Installation
There are important things that you need to know when it comes to installing an infant car. Here are the steps that you need to do to make sure you install the car seat properly:
- Place the infant car seat correctly – Most of the infant car seat has a snuggle fit in your car so that you will no longer have to worry about gaps between the regular seat and the infant car seat. Be sure that the infant car seat is in its right position and double-check for gaps. If there are gaps, make sure to fill them up.
- Lower the latch – All of the latest car models have an adjustable latch because it is a safety standard that is required for all cars.
- Attach and fasten the anchors – Infant car seats come with belts to safely anchor them to the car seat. You can also use the seat belt for extra security and stability of the infant car seat.
Things to Do Before Purchasing an Infant Car Seat
Safety is our primary concern when it comes to traveling in a car with our babies. It is also important to know what to do before purchasing an infant car seat. If you want to know how long do babies stay in infant car seats, you must find the right kind of car seat that lasts long so that you will get your money’s worth. Below is a list of what you need to do before purchasing an infant car seat.
- Inspect your car – Make sure that your car has the right safety anchors and latches for you to install the infant car seat.
- Choose an infant car seat that your baby can use as they grow – There are different types of car seats that you can choose from that your baby can use while growing up. As long as you know how to use it and convert it, you can use it for a long time.
- Consider a 2-in-1 car seat stroller – For money-saving purposes, consider a car seat stroller.
- Look for important features – The more security features an infant car seat has, the safer it is for you to use.
- Ease of cleaning – Look for an infant car seat that is easy to clean. You will never predict when a baby leaks on their seat whenever you are driving. It is best to be prepared and have a car seat that is easy to clean so that you no longer have to worry about washing the entire seat.
- Easy installation – Find an infant car seat that is easy to install. It can help you save time and effort in figuring out how to secure your baby’s car seat.
The answer to how long do babies stay in infant car seat will depend on the size and weight of your baby. Some car seats can last long in durability, but your baby grew and made their car seat unsuitable for them to use. There are different types of car seats that you can choose to match the age, size, and weight of your baby. Remember to put quality and the comfort of your little one when purchasing an infant car seat. Find out more about infant car seats.