Newborn babies under the age of one-year-old usually wear mittens. They are not just for fashion, but also for protection. Babies cannot control their reflexes during the first weeks of their lives, and they should wear mittens to avoid their faces from being scratched. But how long should baby wear mittens?
Why Do Babies Wear Mittens?
Mittens cover the entire hands of the baby. Newborn babies are most likely to have mittens in their wardrobes. There are a lot of benefits that a baby can get when they wear mittens. It keeps their face protected from being scratched by their sharp nails. But how long should baby wear mittens? It depends on how well they can control their reflexes. When babies can already control their hand movements, they can stop from wearing mittens. Some parents also opt to do away with mittens before their little ones turn six months old. When babies reach this age, they need their hands to improve their senses. They need to touch and feel things to learn about their new environment. This is the stage where they get to discover things and explore the different textures around them.
Pros and Cons of Mittens
Mittens are part of your baby’s wardrobe. But just like all things, it has its pros and cons. So here are the pros and cons when your baby wears mittens.
- Prevents them from scratching themselves – When babies have sharp nails, they scratch themselves, leaving marks or wounds on their skin. It can be dangerous because your baby has sensitive skin, and their scratch wounds might get infected. How long should baby wear mittens? When you can already cut their nails, you can do away with your baby’s mittens.
- Comfortable breastfeeding – Babies tend to squeeze their mom’s breasts whenever they are breastfeeding, and this can be painful for you. But if they are wearing mittens, it will be less painful, and you will also be more comfortable whenever you are breastfeeding them.
- Keeps their hands clean – Babies love to grab things and put their hands in their mouths. Keeping their hands clean by using mittens will prevent them from getting sick.
- Avoid thumb sucking – Using mittens can help your baby avoid thumb sucking because the mittens’ fabric is not comfortable to nibble on. How long should baby wear mittens? If your baby is not a fan of thumb sucking, they can do away with their mittens.
- One size fits all – The great thing about mittens is it fits all sizes. The free size of the mittens allows your baby to wear them for as long as they need it, even if they have grown a bit.
- Keeps them warm during winter – Mittens are also warmers, especially during winter. It prevents their fingers from being cold and makes them feel extra comfortable during the cold season.
- Garterized mittens cause rashes – Some mittens have garters to keep them on your baby’s hands. If your baby’s skin is sensitive, there is a possibility that they will get a rash or unwanted skin reaction.
- Ribboned mittens often get lost – Some parents prefer to use ribboned mittens for their babies. But if the ribbon is loose, there is a possibility that one or both of them will be lost, especially when you are out of your home.
Before purchasing the mittens for your baby, you need to do a bit of research to know which mittens to get. Even though that mittens serve the same purpose, there are times when they have their cons. Also, not all babies are comfortable wearing mittens. They cry or get rid of it.
How To Choose The Right Mittens?
Choosing the right mittens are also like choosing the right clothes for your baby. There are different designs and colors that you can pick to match their outfit. Also, it is good to have a lot of extras because there is a huge chance that they will get stained when your baby is wearing them. Here is how to choose the right mitten for your baby.
- Fabric – Cotton is one of the popular types of fabric for baby clothes. Most mittens are made of cotton. However, there are some mittens that are made from bamboo fibers. Whatever it is, you need to be sure that it is safe for your baby to use. You can buy hypoallergenic mittens so that your baby can use them with an assurance that there will not develop any allergic reactions.
- Type of fabric holding – The type of fabric holding depends on your preference and how your baby often moves and uses his hands. You can choose either the ribbon or garter holding and figure out which one suits your baby’s preference.
Figuring out how long should baby wear mittens depends on the response of your baby to her environment. Watch out for signs that indicate that they are ready to do away with their mitts; their reflex is already manageable, and you can cut their fingernails. Choosing the right fabric is one of the most important things that you need to do before purchasing baby mittens. Making sure that you get the hypoallergenic material is the safest option that you can have when it comes to buying their mittens. As long as they are comfortable while wearing their mittens, then everything will be fine. Find out more about baby clothes.