For many of us, growing up, we had our playpens—a place where mystery and imagination collide to play out the very scenes on television and real life. But in today’s society, not everyone agrees on the idea of a playpen. Some would argue, how long to leave baby in playpen until it’s no longer ideal? Some parents may mistake a playpen as a place to put their baby when they are busy. This should not be the case.
If you consider all these things, moderation and balance are essential. In this article, we will explore how long to leave baby in playpen until it is no longer suitable for the baby. But before we address that, let’s look at the disadvantages and advantages of a playpen first.
Disadvantage Of A Playpen
The playpen was designed to restrict an infant’s movement, and when in use, it should always be monitored by an adult or parent. Knowing how long to leave baby in playpen should be essential to learn because you won’t want to experience the disadvantage of having a playpen for your child. These are the disadvantages of having a playpen.
- Some will argue that leaving a child in a playpen for long periods can promote depression and anxiety and make toddlers fall behind their peers.
- Confining an infant in a playpen limits their ability for exploration and experimentation.
- The playpen is also restricting the toddler’s ability to understand the boundaries or responding to directives.
- Some learnings might not be available when the baby is inside a playpen.
- The playpen is a sanctuary prone to a sense of a child’s reckless behavior that may not translate well in the real world.
- While a playpen should be used in a more moderate circumstance, some parents abuse its use.
But again, as with everything, moderation is the key, and having a playpen in the house will always boil down to the parent’s attitude toward caring for the baby and personal preference.
Advantages Of A Playpen
- While the disadvantages of a playpen are looking more on the extreme possibilities of parental neglect and baby isolation, there are advantages to having a playpen if you are a responsible parent. The playpen can be a useful tool for the household in restricting the baby’s movement, keeping the baby away from harm, and providing optimum safety for babies, especially when the parent is doing a task.
- When you have a playpen in your household, it is good to know that when you do the mundane things, like sweeping the floor, your baby is safe and secure.
- The playpen also allows you to accomplish daily tasks faster to spend more time with the baby.
Most of all, a playpen provides a haven for the baby to stay in when a parent is occupied, such as when there is someone at the door or when something that spilled needs to be cleaned.
Things To Consider When Using A Playpen
When using a playpen, there are things to consider, like how safe the playpen is, how big the playpen is, and how long to leave baby in playpen. These are a few things to address first to provide the proper environment for your child. Safety above all should be the priority, and choosing the right playpen can add to its security.
How Safe Is A Playpen?
The safety of the playpen comes in different factors. The first one to address would be the safety features that already come with the playpen you buy. The playpen should have no protruding frames, sharp metals and should have padded sides. To prevent mishaps, these are a few things to consider for safety.
- Avoid dangling strings - When the child reaches around 4-6 months of age, remove all toys that dangle with a string. This can cause a child to get entangled.
- Avoid big toys – When the child reaches a certain age, big toys and boxes can be used to escape or climb out. So as much as possible, avoid big toys inside the playpen.
- Always check on the baby – Knowing how long to leave baby in playpen unchecked is essential to the baby’s safety. Check on the baby every time possible and not leave the baby unchecked for more than 10min.
How Big Is The Playpen
Recent research has suggested that it would be best to have a medium to a large playpen for your child. This is so the baby can have enough space and would not feel confined. While there are still arguments surrounding this topic, any reasonable parent would want the best for their baby. Having the biggest playpen is what every good parent would like to offer their child, but the decision is limited due to personal preference and economic status.
How Long Should The Baby Stay In Playpen?
The answer to this question lies more on the parent’s availability, assuming that the kid is on the playpen because the parent is busy doing other things. It is best always to have the playpen close to the parents. Leaving the baby in the playpen should also be done in moderation. When a parent needs to entertain guests at home, never leave the baby alone for hours, check every 10min and, if possible, have the baby accompanied by an adult.
Knowing how long to leave baby in playpen relies on the proper balance of the parent’s schedule. Always have a balance between having the child roam free with supervision and having the child in the playpen. The playpen should always be used as a tool for securing your baby’s safety and not something to restrict the baby from safe exploration and the world around the baby. Know more about baby toys.
Moderation should always be practiced when it comes to using the playpen for your baby. Knowing how long to leave baby in playpen is a skill that comes naturally if you have a balanced schedule. Having the playpen in the household can ensure your baby’s safety when you are busy doing chores and tasks. Remember that when it comes to family, safety should always be your priority.