How Many Onesies Does A Newborn Need?
Shopping for baby clothes before your little bundle of joy arrives can be a very exciting experience. While there is nothing wrong with indulging in some trendy baby clothes, you would not want to fall short when it comes to basic essentials like onesies. It's really challenging to resist putting a ton of baby stuff and outfits on your registry. But, the truth is, babies tend to grow quickly, and your child might not fit into specific sizes for quite long. But how would you know when to have enough? How many onesies does a newborn need? Read on to find out.
Things to Consider on How Many Onesies does a Newborn Need
Having a lot of clothing options for quick outfit changes can indeed come in handy, particularly when spit-ups or diaper blowouts happen. However, the question remains, how many onesies does a newborn need? Here are some things you need to think through in deciding how many onesies does a newborn needs.
- Think about the laundry
How often do you do the laundry can make a big difference in how many clothing pieces you will need to have on hand. Below, we’ve made a compiled list of baby clothing essentials based on doing a couple of loads of laundry during the week.
If your laundry routine is different, you might be needing more or less clothing. You can adjust the numbers, here's how:
- If you're planning on washing once a week, multiply the numbers by two.
- If you're planning on washing every day, you can cut the numbers in half
- Think about the sizes
In doing your baby clothing registry, you may be tempted to register only for newborn stuff. But, most babies will outgrow them quickly. Most newborn sizes top out around eight pounds, so if your baby is bigger, they might not even fit them. When adding clothes to the registry, pick a few newborn stuff and then add on 0-3 months sizes. This size options will always fit babies up to 12 to 13 pounds.
Have a look at this breakdown for the standard number of clothing pieces you would want to have on hand for your newborn’s wardrobe. We’ve also thrown in some items to add for winter and summer babies and special occasions.
Here's a breakdown of the number on baby's essential clothing and how many onesies does a newborn need:
- 7 onesies or bodysuits
- 3 to 5 pants
- 2 hats
- 5 pairs of socks
- 2-3 swaddles
- 4 sleepers or gowns
For winter, you can add:
- 2 sweaters/sweatshirts
- 2 pairs of mittens
- 1 coat or bunting sack
- 2 slippers or booties
- 2 additional pairs of socks
For summer, you can add:
- 2 lightweight blankets
- 1 summer hat
For fun, just add:
- A special occasion outfit
- Anything else you love
Tips on Baby Clothes Sizing
In deciding how many onesies does a newborn needs, it's also important to consider some tips on clothing sizing. Here are some general tips on baby clothes sizing:
- For clothing brands that give a single month for the size, consider getting the upper limit.
- Most clothing brands do give weight and height recommendations for their size ranges, but you need to search for the sizes chart online.
- They may seem funny, but you can find out what you or your husband were like as babies. Always in the big size side? Or always on the smaller side? This may give you a little idea of what to expect.
- Boutique brands may run on the smaller side. This isn't a hard and fast rule, but it would help to be aware when considering getting from boutique brands.
- Once your baby hit the 18 and 24-month sizes (We know it seems kind of far away still), the difference between those two sizes and 2T is so small, size up and get more wear out of each gear.
- When in doubt, always keep the tags on so you can exchange for a bigger size or store credit when it doesn't fit. Even if you won't get the full value, it’s better than wasted clothes your baby never wore.
Considering how essential onesies can be, it makes sense that you would want to have one for your baby every day of the week, right? At times, you might think you'll be needing more, especially during big-time diaper blowouts. After all, mom's life with a baby is pretty unpredictable. There are days when a single onesie will last you from morning 'til bedtime; at times, you might need to go through 4 onesies by mid-afternoon. So in deciding how many onesies does a newborn need, consider some of the things we've listed above - think about the laundry and think about the size. You can also think about climate and special occasions.
Depending on your budget, lifestyle, and aesthetic, these numbers will vary. However, make some space to add at least one or two pieces that might not be necessary, but are just fun and stylish. If you think these baby clothes are cute and stylish, just wait 'til you are dressing the mini version of you!
January 8, 2021
By: Louie Dickenson
Onesies are essential staples that you should buy when you have a baby. Numerous onesies are readily available in the market.
January 6, 2021
By: Rita Camden
Adults have a difficult time when they are not comfortable with what they are wearing. Be it spring, summer, fall, or winter, comfort will always be the key to having a good day.