The moment you found out you are having a baby, you are excited about so many things, and preparing for the effect of pregnancy on your body should always be put into consideration. One of the challenging parts of being pregnant is getting a dress that suits you. Something that will help you feel comfortable. You probably think of going on shopping and buy yourself a maternity dress, but that can be costly. It would be ideal if you use your old clothes and alter them to fit. You must learn how to alter a maternity dress and make it the best one.
The Importance of Comfortable Maternity Clothes
While some expectant mothers get excited about buying new clothes that can be used exclusively while pregnant, you might think it’s practical more practical to modify your wardrobe to fit your current needs. Learning how to alter a maternity dress would be a good idea to save money in the long run. The extra money can be used to provide for your baby’s needs. But whatever choice you make, your maternity dress has to be comfortable.
The whole pregnancy is already full of discomfort, so it’s just right that you provide yourself clothes that are not too tight and not too loose – just enough to let you move and your tummy to breathe. The first trimester is the most uncomfortable. This is when you have morning sickness and food cravings. Some women suffer from indigestion too. If you are in this stage, you can choose loose clothing where you don’t feel tight around your waist.
When you are pregnant, you will also get hot flashes. You will sweat all the time. So light clothing is highly recommended. Tight clothes will make you feel warm and will worsen the warm feeling. If you know how to alter a maternity dress, you can adjust the tightness according to your preference. If you have big shirts, you can make it an excellent stylish top. You don’t have to wear the traditional robe type pregnancy dresses to be comfortable with clothes. Check your closet and see which among your clothes that you can alter to fit your current measurement.
Turning Old Clothes into Comfortable Pregnancy Clothes
During the first months of your pregnancy, you do not have to worry about getting new clothes as you can continue using the existing ones. However, as your tummy grows, you should start thinking about altering some of your clothing to fit you. So, you need to know how to alter a maternity dress. You don’t have to renew your entire wardrobe to feel comfortable and chic during your pregnancy. There are many ways to make you feel and look good during pregnancy with the existing clothes you have.
- Dress – Add a ribbon, belt, or drawstring above the tummy to a loose dress or top. This detail will make you look chic and delicate. Adjust the belt correctly to avoid discomfort, remember that comfort will be the main thing when adapting your clothes to your new body.
- Skirt – Use a long skirt over the belly to create a dress. If you have a long skirt in your closet, you can also use it in a new way. You have to place it above your belly. It will be an elegant and comfortable outfit for you and to your growing belly.
- Alter short dresses – If you have a short dress that makes you uncomfortable to wear with your new pregnant belly, it will only be a matter of seconds for you to make it a skirt. Lower the top over your belly and combine it with a blouse or top to get a new style. It will be a comfortable two-piece outfit that will make you look amazing.
- Old Shirt – Loose shirts are the most comfortable garment to use as a pregnant woman. But you can turn it into a fashionable pregnancy garment. You can cut the back of the shirt and put a ribbon to the end at the back of your neck. Then add an elastic lace to make it breathable. It can be very comfortable during hot days.
- Unused Tops – Tops will also be an excellent option to renew your clothes and give them a maternal look. You can cut a top that you no longer use and sew a loose fabric under the breasts, which will bring you a comfortable feeling.
- Pants – You don’t have to give up using your pants when you are pregnant. You can add an elastic fabric to your pants. Cut the side and place the stretchy fabric. You can ask a dressmaker to sew it, or you can do it yourself. You can put the elastic fabric to one side or both sides of the pants, depending on what fits you and make it comfortable.
- Blouses – You can also cut your shirt on the sides with a v-opening and place fabric or lace to transforms it into pregnancy clothes. Another way is by adding a few centimeters of fabric to the bottom of your shirt, so you don’t fall short as your belly grows.
Pregnancy creates a positive atmosphere for expectant parents. And you have to be prepared for the possible discomforts it could give you – the morning sickness, food cravings, and the challenging cloth searching. While you can always buy new clothes that you can wear while pregnant, you must remember that it is not permanent and might not be used anymore after giving birth, unless you are planning to get pregnant again. Anyhow, learning how to alter a maternity dress will be a great help to you. You can make use of old clothes and turn them into a comfortable pregnancy dress. Get more tips on maternity clothes.