How To Build A Baby Crib By Yourself
This DIY step by step woodworking project is about how to build a baby crib. If you want to know more about the structure of a wooden baby crib, we suggest that you pay attention to the directions mentioned in this post. You can change the crib style to match your desires and the measurements. Invest in better quality building materials, ensuring parts are in excellent condition and are dead smooth. Building this project might be a little intimidating, but this will be all rewarding for your little one in the end.
Things to Consider Before Building a Baby Crib
All the pieces must be secured securely together, so be sure you drill the pocket holes and install the correct galvanized screws. Add waterproof adhesive to joints to ensure that the corners are straight until each part has been installed. Smooth the baby crib’s bare sides, to enhance the project feel. You may change the height to which the bed frame is mounted, according to your preferences and tastes.
There are tons of other bed frame models to pick from when you create this project, make sure you look at the related designs. Keep in mind how to build a baby crib from the beginning and prepare all to avoid expensive errors and reduce waste. Keep in mind to leave no holes between the elements as they are put together. To shield them from deterioration, add a few coats of paint or dye on the materials.
Prepping Your Crib Materials and Tools
4 pieces of 1×3 lumber – 30″, 2 piece – 30″,
2 piece of 1×4 lumber - 30″,
10 pieces of 1×2 lumber – 30″ SIDES
2 pieces of 1×3 lumber – 30″, 1 piece – 53 1/2″,
1 piece of 1×4 lumber – 53 1/2″,
10 pieces of 1×2 lumber – 30″ BACK
2 pieces of 1×3 lumber – 24″, 1 piece – 53 1/2″,
1 piece of 1×4 lumber – 53 1/2″,
10 pieces of 1×2 lumber – 24″ FACE
6 piece of 2×3 lumber – 5″ long LEGS
2 pieces of 1×3 lumber – 27″ long,
2 pieces – 53 1/2″ long BED FRAME
2 pieces of 1×1 lumber – 52″ long,
11 pieces of 1×3 lumber – 27″ long CLEATS
- Safety gloves and glasses
- Miter saw and jigsaw
- Chalk line, tape measure, level, carpentry pencil
- Drill machine and drill bits
You must apply several wood coatings or stains to the wooden parts.
Place wood filler to cover the holes and smooth the surface.
How To Build A Baby Crib
Step 1 – Building the Railings and Sidewalls
- The first phase of the woodworking project is the creation of the baby crib’s front side. As you can see in the drawings, we propose building the front wall frame using 1x4 bottom slat wood, 1x3 bottom slat lumber. Drill the pocket gaps at both endpoints of the vertical elements and use 1 1/4′′ screws to secure them to the upper and bottom parts. Verify that the corners are square, and the surfaces are clean.
- Creating the railings is a straightforward process, but make sure you drill the pocket openings at both sides of the vertical components then use 1 1/4′′ screws to connect them to the frame.
- It is easy to create the sidewalls, but you need to change the scale of the materials before firmly locking them into place. Test that the corners are squared until galvanized screws are mounted.
Step 2 – Work on Baby’s Crib Walls
- The next step of the woodworking project is the construction of the baby crib’s back wall. Work slowly to ensure that the wall is solid. Align the pieces before installing the screws and test if the edges are clear.
- Start the woodworking project by securing together the four crib walls. Drill pocket slits along the front and rear surfaces of the frames and insert 1 1/4′′ screws into the walls next door. Be sure the angles are square until the galvanized screws are mounted. Ensure that the sides are flat until the screws are pushed through.
Step 3 – Build the Crib’s Frame
- Cut some bits of 2 unchanged lumber and attach them to the frame’s lower components. You can use 2′′ screws to punch pilot holes in the legs and lock them into place. To build a stable frame, apply waterproof adhesive to the joints.
- Start the job of creating the bed frame for the infant crib. Use the 1x3 buffer slats to create the bed frame, making sure that the corners are square. First, to protect the slats, add the 1x1 cleats to the inside faces of the bed frame. Drill pocket holes with 1 1/4′′ screws through the cleats and connect them to the frame.
Step 4 – Fix the Cleats
- Next, secure the 1x3 slats to the cleats. Act cautiously and position the slats evenly spaced, until securing them with 1 1/4′′ galvanized screws to the cleats. The height with which you safeguard the bed frame to side walls should be decided. Use a level to test the horizontal bed frame before driving the screws into the walls via the plate.
Step 5 – Finalize and Smooth the Surface
- There are several options to pick from on how to build a baby crib. Only make sure you choose the option that fits in with the rest of the space.
- We strongly suggest taking control of the final touches. Fill the wood filler holes and enable them to dry out for many hours. Smooth the surface area instead with fine-grit sandpaper and clean the traces.
The Cost on How to Build a Baby Crib
You'll certainly notice the least costly cribs are typically regular ones, and you can buy them for around $100. That doesn’t assume all standard baby cribs are cheap now. You can certainly find a wide range of standard baby cribs for a mid-range budget or luxury cribs, which can charge you over $1000.
Benefits of DIY Build Of Baby Crib
Convertible nurseries are common, but not every parent is charmed by the revolutionary design. Convertible crib enables you to transform your nursery into a twin bed, daybed, bench, or double bed. But if you’re a DIYer and have a limited budget, you can work your way on how to build a baby crib?
Parents intending to have a second child may realize that very soon they would need the crib. The based on the quality of the crib, the wood may be relatively dinged from repeated usage, not to mention the teething infants’ bite marks. Certain parents prefer the thought of getting a ‘baby’ nursery furniture. Get more tips on baby cribs.
Thank you for reading our step by step tutorial on how to build a baby crib. You should try out this project. When you decide to create this crib without bumpers, we recommend you purchase your mattress and make the required changes for a perfect fit.
April 3, 2021
By: Josie Ray
If it has not passed your mind yet, taking care of babies is expensive! This costly reminder is a fact, and you, as a parent, need to plan for possible expenses, especially for the baby crib.
April 2, 2021
By: Rita Camden
There are certain requirements for perfect baby mattresses. The baby mattress should be very firm but comfortable for sleeping and lying down.