How To Cut A Maternity Dress: A DIY Guide
Being pregnant is one of the greatest moments a woman can experiences. But when you’re pregnant, it is hard to look for comfortable clothes because your size drastically changes and you can't wear your old clothes anymore. Learning how to cut a maternity dress is one thing that pregnant moms do to have something comfortable to wear. It benefits the growth of your baby, and it helps you move comfortably.
Benefits of Learning How to Cut a Maternity Dress
There are a lot of benefits that you can get if you learn how to cut a maternity dress. Your creativity shines when you make one. Also, you will have something to do for yourself and not just for your baby.
Here are the benefits of cutting a maternity dress for yourself:
- Saves you money – Purchasing maternity clothes are a bit expensive. Also, you can't be sure if you can find the dress that will best fit you, whether this is at a mall or a boutique. If you are picky about her clothes, you may be frustrated as to how pricey maternity clothes can be and the lack of design that they have in store.
- Reusing old clothes – If you have a lot of old clothes at the back of your cabinet, you can put them to good use by converting them to your maternity clothes. As long as you cut them right, and sew the right areas, it can be the perfect fit.
- You can wear them even after giving birth – The great thing about reusing old clothes and converting them to maternity clothes is that you can wear them again after giving birth. They will become more comfortable to wear and at the same time, make you feel and look good.
- You can make a business out of it – Once you mastered the art of making maternity clothes, you can make a business out of it. You can help a lot of mothers out there who are struggling to look for the right maternity clothes to wear.
DIY Instructions on How to Cut a Maternity Dress
If it is your first time being pregnant, and you want to have nice maternity clothes, here are the instructions on how to cut a maternity dress that you can wear confidently:
Reusing old clothes
- Choose what clothes you want to convert into a maternity dress.
- Draw a triangular shape on the side of the clothes that you want.
- Start by marking the tip of the triangle 2inches below the underarm seam. Then draw both sides of the triangle down to the bottom.
- Cut the triangle
- Add an extension fabric to the area where you cut the triangle. You can use an old t-shirt or a scarf.
- Use the cut-out triangle as the basis of your new bigger triangle cloth.
- Once you cut a bigger triangle, sew it on the shirt or blouse that you want to wear.
Cutting a piece of fabric
- Place the fabric on the table and draw a triangle shape that suits your size
- Cut the triangle and fold the upper tip of the triangle.
- Sew the sides of the triangle leaving the bottom unsown.
- Insert a ribbon under the folded tip of the triangle.
- Sew the area where the ribbon is as well as the bottom seams
*You can wear this as a dress or as a blouse. It gives you a flattering look because it shows off your shoulders*
These are some of the ways on how to cut and make your maternity dress. You can experiment on designs and techniques on how to cut a maternity dress that you want to wear.
Other Options in Making a Maternity Dress
If you want to save on money, there are other options in making a maternity dress. They can still be stylish and at the same time, make you feel comfortable.
- Use old beddings – Beddings have excellent fabric quality. Converting them to a maternity dress can save you several bucks. Plus, the size of old linens will provide you with a lot of fabric to work on. You will no longer have to buy an expensive fabric to use.
- Shawls as extenders – If you don't want to ruin your old clothes and use them as extenders, you can always use your shawls as extenders. Shawls are perfect extenders because they are lengthy, and you have different designs to choose from.
- Husband's clothes can be your maternity dress – If there are a lot of t-shirts or polo shirts that your husband doesn’t often use, you can wear them as your maternity clothes. This is perfect, especially if they don't mind giving up their clothes for your comfort.
As a woman, it is naturally hard for us to choose the right kind of clothes to wear on different occasions. Everything will be extra challenging when we get pregnant because we grow in size as our baby is growing inside us. That is why learning how to cut a maternity dress is one thing that we should learn. There are a lot of designs that we can do by simply cutting our old shirts, dresses, and blouses and convert them to our maternity clothes. We can even make use of our husband's clothes. Just be creative and have fun while making your clothes, and you will walk on the streets comfortably wearing your hand-made maternity clothes.
January 8, 2021
By: Louie Dickenson
Being pregnant means going through drastic changes, not only for your life but also for your mind and body. Some moms don’t care what they have to wear, they want to keep the baby safe, and some moms wish the baby safe while looking beautiful.
January 7, 2021
By: Josie Ray
The woman’s body undertakes many transformations during pregnancy. The physical changes, such as growing belly and gaining weight
January 7, 2021
By: Alicia Davis
The moment you found out you are having a baby, you are excited about so many things, and preparing for the effect of pregnancy on your body