How To Determine A Baby’s Shoe Size
Buying a new pair of shoes for your baby can be somewhat tricky because babes grow rather quickly. At one time, a four-inch pair fits well only to be outgrown in the next few months. But that is just the nature of babies, and a sign they’re growing healthy. Since parents will have to buy a few pair of shoes every now and then during childhood years, they should know how to determine baby shoe size.
Materials You Need to Measure Baby's Foot Accurately
When you need to determine baby shoe size, there are only three things you will need on-hand. If you have these at your disposal, then you are ready to know how to determine baby shoe size accurately.
- Writing tool. You will need a pen or pencil to either mark the size of the foot on paper or to list down the measurements you took.
- Paper. The paper will be useful for either method of measurement, whether the baby is standing or lying down.
- Measuring instrument. An essential tool to have is a ruler or a measuring tape.
Measure the Shoe Size of a Baby While Laid Down
If your baby is still unable to stand, it would be better to take measurements while they are lying down, or while asleep. This way, you are sure to take more accurate measurements due to the lack of movements. Follow the guide below to know how to determine the baby shoe size of a sleeping baby.
- Lay the baby down nicely. Make sure to put them in a position where they are comfortable and will not move much. If they are sleeping, this step will help you avoid moving them too much to the point of waking them up.
- Place the foot on a flat surface. The feet of a baby is almost round and has no edges. To take accurate measurements, you need to create the edges yourself. You can choose to put the heel of their foot on your hand or another flat surface.
- Ready your pen and paper. Remember to write down all the measurements you are going to take in the next few steps.
- Measure the length of the foot. Bring out your measuring instrument. Measure the foot from the tips of the toes to the edge of the heel.
- Measure the width of the foot. Identify the fullest part of your baby's foot. It usually is at the bottom part of the toes.
- Measure the height of the foot. Identify where the baby's foot seems to be at its highest point and measure. This measurement will not be useful on the size chart, but it is essential, so you will know whether you need to size up due to this part.
- Search for the brand of shoes. Different shoe brands mean different size charts. Although the size charts are usually similar, it is best to be accurate on how to determine baby shoe size, by looking for the particulars.
Measure the Shoe Size of a Baby While Standing Up
Similar to measuring the shoe size of a baby who is lying down, you will still need paper, a pencil, and a ruler. Ensure that if you are doing this, your baby can stand up well on their own or provide steady support that they can hold on to comfortably. You can also try and attempt this method on a baby who is lying down. The following is a guide on how to determine baby shoe size of a standing baby:
- Put the paper down on the floor. Make sure that the paper is big enough. Put it down on the floor and flatten it out.
- Let the baby stand on the paper. Have the baby stand comfortably on the piece of paper. Be careful that they will not fall.
- Trace the baby's foot. Try to be as accurate as possible in tracing the shape of the baby's feet.
- Measure. Take the paper and measure the drawing with your ruler or measuring tape.
- Search for the brand of shoes. Determine the shop you want to buy from and refer to their size chart.
Points to Remember When Buying Baby Shoes
The right shoe size is not the only consideration you need to keep in mind when buying shoes. The following are some tips or points to remember:
- Look for non-slip soles. It is essential to make sure that the footwear has grips or non-slip soles to help prevent accidents.
- Choose the right soles for the child's age. If your child is younger, choose flexible shoes that can stretch and morph according to the shape of the baby's foot. If they are older and can run around, choose harder soles that can provide better protection for their feet.
- Measure your baby's foot at their largest size. Just like how we grow shorter at the end of the day, feet can also change. Due to walking and playing, they might look more swelled up than usual. Make sure to measure when they are at their largest size. Also, if the shoes you plan to buy requires a baby to wear socks, measure their feet while wearing a pair.
- Choose a comfortable size. Make sure that there is an allowance for movement. Put a finger between the back of the foot and the show. Also, press down on the shoe at the front of the toes, and make sure that there is room.
- Measure both feet. It is crucial to measure both feet, so you know how to determine baby shoe size accurately. When buying, choose the size of the bigger foot.
To keep your little angel comfortable all day, you need to make sure they're clothed comfortably down to the feet, with breathable shoes that are just right for their size. Make sure that you know how to determine baby shoe size to help your baby get through the day as pleasantly as possible.
September 9, 2020
By: Rita Camden
It is wonderful to see your baby slowly growing up to be a healthy and active child. With this, you effectively reminisce about the time
September 9, 2020
By: Louie Dickenson
Once your baby boy learns to stand and walk, they need lightweight shoes with support and flexibility. Those shoes must give them grip and balance, and prevent them from slipping and tipping. Numerous types of baby shoes are on the market, but which one is the best? Read on for recommendations for the best baby boy shoes.