How To Get Your Baby To Sleep In A Crib: Expert Tips
Babies sleep an average of 14 to 17 hours a day. They sleep more than adults because their bodies are still developing, and with the help of sleep, the cells in their bodies are slowly building and strengthening different areas. Babies usually sleep in their mother's arms because they feel safe, warm, and they can sense the scent of their mother. But not all the time, a mother can carry their baby while sleeping. Many parents are figuring out how to get baby to sleep in crib for them to have time to do other things around the house. It is a challenge for new parents to put their baby to sleep in a crib, but there are ways for you to do this in a breeze.
Challenges in Putting Your Baby to Sleep
A baby can't sleep in a crib, mainly because of the new environment and surface of the crib. There are other reasons why it is challenging to put your baby to sleep. Here are the different factors that affect your baby's sleep:
- Resisting sleeping on their backs – Babies prefer to sleep on their tummies because they feel more secure. But this is a dangerous sleeping position, and it can cause sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).
- Confuses between day and night – This is where your baby sleeps during the day and awake during the night, making you feel exhausted and tired.
- Sleep regression – This is the time when your baby is starting to see, hear, and feel things. They want to explore new things and will not want to sleep.
- Nap routine changes – If you suddenly change their sleeping routine, it will be hard for them to adapt, making them difficult to put to sleep.
- Teething – Babies who are teething are always in pain. Because of this, it will be hard for them to go to sleep.
- Trouble settling down – If you want to know how to get baby to sleep in crib comfortably, you might make a lot of trials and errors in experimenting ways to do it. Some babies aren’t at ease when they are tired, and it will be hard for them to settle down, especially why there are a lot of happenings around them.
How to Get Your Baby to Sleep in a Crib
How to get baby to sleep in crib is a challenge. It is because some of them want to be in your arms all the time. Here are some ways for you to do to get your baby to sleep in a crib easily.
- Play during the day – Keep them busy whenever they are awake so that it will be easier for them to fall asleep.
- Respond after a few minutes of fussing – Give a few minutes whenever they are fussing so that they will sleep immediately as soon as you gave them comfort.
- Have a routine – Stick to regular nap and sleeping schedule
- Stay in a dark, quiet room – When you see your baby is tired, go to a dark and quiet room.
- Watch for signs and prepare for protests – There are times when your baby resists to sleep even when they are tired. Find some tricks to make them fall asleep faster when they are already tired.
- Turn off all artificial lights – It is advisable to stay away from any artificial light like those from the television or gadgets two hours before bedtime.
- Have a “Lovey” – Keeping a stuffed toy, pillow, or blanket is advisable so that your baby can fall asleep faster. It keeps a certain scent that allows them to feel secured and comfortable.
- Put her on the crib when she is tired – If you see your baby already tired, place them in the crib even if they are still awake. It is how to get baby to sleep in crib, but it is also a challenge for some parents.
Things You Will Need in a Crib
If you want to learn how to get baby to sleep in crib, you need to have all the right things to sleep comfortably. Finding these items is easy because it will depend on your preference for how your baby wants to sleep.
- Mattress – There are different types of mattresses in the market that you can have for the crib. Choose the right material that is safe and comfortable for your baby to use.
- Waterproof mattress protector – To avoid the mattress from sagging, it is advisable to have a waterproof mattress protector so that the mattress will not absorb any leaks.
- Beddings – Hypoallergenic bedding is the best type of bedding you can use for the crib's mattress.
- Footed Sleepwear – To make your baby feel more comfortable, footed sleepwear is advisable instead of pajamas.
- Pillows – Placing pillows on the sides can protect your baby from bumping on the crib’s rails and prevent any bruising.
Figuring out how to put a baby to sleep is a challenge. But learning how to get baby to sleep in crib can be harder than expected. Most babies like to sleep with their parents as this gives them comfort, especially during the newborn phase. It takes time for them to get used to sleeping in a crib, but once they get used to the routine, it will be easier for them to fall asleep.
January 6, 2021
By: Alicia Davis
This DIY step by step woodworking project is about how to build a baby crib. If you want to know more about the structure of a wooden baby crib.
January 4, 2021
By: Rita Camden
If you are a new parent, you may be wondering: “How long do babies sleep in cribs?” “Is the baby safe in the crib?” “How can you keep them comfortable in the crib?”