You just placed your baby in the crib and they suddenly start wailing because of the sudden disturbance from their sleep. You sigh and start cradling your baby back, and rock them back and forth gently to put them back to sleep. You, on the other hand, still needs that good night’s rest. Wondering how to lay baby in crib properly? Well, worry no more because this article is the perfect guide for you. You will learn the tips and tricks to lay your baby into the crib without waking her up. Just make sure you master the guide! Curious? Read on!
Sleep Cycle of Babies
A fun fact before you will learn how to properly lay your baby in their crib is the sleep cycle of babies. Knowing this little detail will surely help putting your baby down into the crib smoothly no crying, no wailing just a great night sleep for the two of you! Babies have shorter sleep cycle usually averaging 50 to 60 minutes, especially on the first nine months.
Two Important Techniques
Most parents I know have two important techniques that can help in easing your baby to sleep in the crib. Surely, it is very helpful for you if you are still a fresh parent. Here are the two techniques you can learn on how to lay baby in crib properly:
- Familiarity: This is very important especially babies need conditioning to adjust in different environments you introduce them in, whether it be a play pen, a bath, or even a new bed. The best way you can ease your baby into their crib is to place things that they are familiar with, especially sight, smell, and feel. You can place the blanket of your baby or one of their clothes in the crib, that way they can grasp something they know and distract them from the new place they are in.
- Consistency: This second technique is likewise important. You must be consistent in three things—the time of feeding your baby, the time you bathe them, and the time you put them to sleep. Consistency will prevent any out of hours waking and you and your baby can rest at the same time.
Very important: Avoid your baby from napping before their bedtime. This will also prevent from waking your baby once you lay them in bed.
Laying your Baby In the Crib
Once you master the two techniques, you can easily learn how to lay baby in crib effortlessly with these tips and tricks!
- Rock them gently: Rock your baby to sleep in her room or in a different room but close to her crib. A short time of moving her means lesser chance of waking them up once you lay them down in the crib. Also, you can sit closer to the front edge of a chair so you can easily get out of it.
- Use the same arm: Use the same arm that you hold you baby in once you lay them down into the crib. Again, familiarity and consistency.
- Lay them on their back: Five minutes after your baby is asleep is the perfect time to transfer and lay them on their back in the crib.
- Pull your arm slowly: The best way to avoid startling your baby from the sudden absence of physical contact is to just pull your arm slowly from under them once they are in the crib. You can rest one hand on her for a few minutes before you walk away.
Do not forget familiarity and consistency!
Other Helpful Tips
Here are some other tips that can help your baby sleep well in their crib:
- Firm and high mattress: Avoid using cushiony sofas. Firm mattresses are the best choice to place in the crib of you baby. It is also safer for them to sleep on. You can also adjust the height of the mattress, so you do not have to stretch awkwardly when you place your baby into the crib.
- Swaddle them up: Another great tip for smooth and undisturbed sleep for your baby is swaddling them, especially for the first two months.
- Sleep sack trick: You can also dress your baby in sleeping sacks, especially when they know how to roll over. Just make sure to lay them on their back when you place them into the crib.
- Nightlights: Having a nightlight will help you see your path to the crib of your baby. You do not have to worry about tripping or bumping into to stuff.
- Self-soothe: If your baby is already 6 to 9 months old, you can teach them to learn how to self-soothe so that they can fall back to sleep on their own.
Now you know how to lay baby in crib without having to wake them up! The only thing left for you to do is apply this helpful information to lessen your problem in placing your baby to sleep. Remember, there are various ways of laying your baby into the crib and hopefully, these tips and tricks can ease the challenge. Do not forget the basics of your baby’s sleep cycle and the very two important techniques—familiarity and consistency! Surely, what you have learned here is enough to give you and your baby that well-deserved good night’s rest! Get more tips on baby cribs.