Do-It-Yourself projects are fantastic pastime activities you can take up during breaks. And they become much more fun and exciting if you are doing it for your loved ones, most notably for your children. Knowing a few tricks here and there can help you provide for your baby’s needs without constantly relying on the market for RTWs. One of the most accessible items to DIY is homemade baby accessories. They are usually small, and the materials you need are generally found around the house or crafts store. You can make headbands or even full rompers as long as you have the right skillset and tools. So, here are a few ideas on how to make baby accessories at home.
General Materials You Will Need to Make Baby Accessories
Do-It-Yourself projects do not need to be complicated. These projects are especially great if you can readily find the materials at home. The baby accessories to make at home only need tools that you can get from your cupboard or anywhere around the house. But, of course, you can make quick store runs if you find it necessary. The following list is the tools you need to complete a class on how to make baby accessories at home:
- Fabric. You can choose to find a piece of cloth with the design or pattern you want for the fabric. You can also opt for using clothes that are old and unused for as long as the cloth is non-irritating on your baby’s delicate and sensitive skin.
- Sewing machine or sewing kit. A sewing machine is not necessary for this tutorial but is handy nonetheless. If you do not have a sewing machine, you can also look for a long line of thread and a needle of your liking. These are more than enough to complete this DIY project.
- Fabric glue. If you lack the skillset to perform proper stitching or sewing, you can opt for fabric glue. It is not as secured as sewing, but it works well enough.
- Cutting instruments. If you have a rotary cutter and a cutting board, this project will be quicker since using these will create cleaner edges. But a pair of scissors will suffice.
- Marking instrument. You can grab a marker or a pen. Just make sure that it writes on cloth and is visible.
Ideas on What Accessories You Can Make
Some of the accessories you can make in the comfort of your own home are headbands, bow ties, flower crowns, warmers, and hair clips. And we recognized that headbands had been a trend for many years, especially for baby girls. As such, we will be presenting to you an idea of how to make baby accessories at home easily, more specifically, lovely stretchable headbands.
How to Make Baby Accessories at Home: DIY Rose Headband for Your Baby
Flowers are symbols of beauty and life. We often see them on any items, from clothes to wallpapers. Here is a simple tutorial on how to make a rose headband for your baby.
- Measure the circumference of the head of your baby.
- Prepare your fabric. For this step, you can choose to use new fabric, or you can take your cotton shirt. You can go ahead and cut off a rectangle that has a width of around four inches. The length of the cloth should be half an inch lower than the circumference of the head of the baby.
- Fold the rectangle in half. After preparing your fabric, fold the fabric in half along the longer side.
- Mark where you need to sew. Get your marker and draw a line around the edges of the fabric. Remember to locate the middle and leave out a two-inch opening in the middle.
- Sew the edges. You can now go ahead and sew the fabric, following the line you marked. Remember to leave out the middle.
- Turn the fabric inside out. With the opening in the middle, turn the fabric inside out.
- Close off the opening. You can use fabric glue, or you can opt to sew the opening of the fabric. If you choose to sew, doing a straight stitch is preferable.
- Pull the ends together. Take the ends of your band and put them together by stitching. With this, you now have a neatly sewn loop of fabric.
- Clean out the band. Locate where the seams are visible and turn it inside out or however you want. Just make sure that the seams are no longer visible and that the band has a neater finish.
- Cut out circles from the fabric. Using the same piece of cloth you used for the band or if you want, you can choose a different patch, cut out circles. Make four large circles around three inches in diameter and five smaller circles around two and a half inches in diameter.
- Form the petals. Take four large circles and four small circles. For each one, you want to put fabric glue in the center of the circle and fold it in half. Make sure that they stick well together and is dry enough. Put another dot of glue in the center of the straight edge and fold in half.
- Put together your flower. With the remaining small circle, you can now form your flower. Take the petals you created with the other circles. Put glue in the middle of the untouched circle. Put the triangular edge of the big petals in the center, effectively gluing them together. After drying, you can also go ahead and put glue in the middle of the bigger petals. Do the same with the smaller petals by sticking the triangular edges together.
- Make it pretty. Since you already have what looks like a flower, you can now ruffle it up, which seems more like a flower. Enforce the form better by creating a dome-like shape.
- Put together the band and the flower. You can use fabric glue to put the flower on the band.
Making accessories for your baby at home should be fun and easy. It is a good learning experience that is fulfilling, especially when you see your baby wearing your hard work as a band of honor. So, do not be afraid to explore and search about how to make baby accessories at home. Get more tips on baby clothes.