You will need burp cloths all day and night during your newborn’s first months. Burp cloths take the brunt of spit-ups, and you can also use them to wipe milk drips or sneezes. It would be best if you stocked up on burp cloths that are soft, absorbent, and hard-wearing. This baby essential is so useful that you tend to stick it with you even when you’re not with your baby. Do you know how to make baby burp cloths? Read on. You will be surprised that these baby essentials are so simple to make.
Guide to Make Baby Burp Cloths
Here’s a complete guide on how to make baby burp cloths. They are super simple and perfect for new moms and beginners who like to make the most of their motherhood. You will need 3/4 yards of fabric per side, scissors, rotary cutter, iron, quality threads, and straight pins.
Choose Your Fabric
In choosing the fabric, start with the best part and have an adorable snuggle flannel. But remember that you can use any flannel from the fabric store. Make sure that they are soft for your baby’s face, and design must be adorable. As you have chosen the fabric, wash it right away so they’ll be clean and ready.
Cut the Fabric
It would help if you matched up the right sides facing one another, so the fabric’s wrong side is facing you. Then, cut the burp cloths to your desired size. For an initial idea, you can cut four rectangular pieces that measure 10 inches by 13 inches. You have an option to make it long as you would like. You may cut a pattern out of thick cardstock and use any shape or continue on sewing rectangles. Before you cut it, pin your fabric in each rectangle to keep the material in place to cut and stack quickly.
Sew Your Burp Cloths
Sew around the fabric’s outer edge, leaving a ¼-inch seam allowance and room to turn it out. You need to trim any excess fabric in the corners to allow the cloths to lay flat nicer. Since these are usually heavily used, you may fold the small opening and topstitch a straight stitch over it.
Finish Off your Burp Cloths
Once done and the burp cloth has been closed, it’s time to press the burp cloth. Burp cloths will look much more beautiful when they are pressed after sewing. After pressing, you can finish off your burp cloth with a decorative stitch across the edges. A zig-zag stitch is the most appropriate, especially if you have stitched more fabrics. You can also be more creative in your stitches.
These baby burp cloths can be made in less than an hour, and it is fulfilling for every mom to know how to make baby burp cloths that are made especially for their babies.
Few Tips in Making Baby Burp Cloths
Before making baby burp cloths, there are some tips to consider so you will have more convenience in your first sewing project attempt. These tips on how to make baby burp cloths are also helpful in making your work more creative.
- Have the fabrics pre-shrunk in hot water and hot dryer before beginning to sew. Both flannel and cotton are notorious for shrinking. It would be best if you also ironed them well before starting.
- It saves you time by using good quality diapers as the base and then enhancing cotton prints or rick rack.
- You need to select durable materials, including trims because they hold up well to frequent washing and drying.
- You have to consider using patterns and designs that will hide stains well.
- When you want to give it as a gift, wrap them up in bundles of three with a wide ribbon tie or give individually, rolled, and tied tight with tulle pieces or lace.
- For some elaboration and edging ideas, you can have a Grosgrain Ribbon, wide RicRac, Fabric Bias, Zig-zag finish, Serged finishing, or clipped and frayed edges.
- You have to ensure that all thread tails are clipped close to avoid chances of anything winding around the baby’s little fingers.
- For backing ideas, try Minky, Chenille, Terry Cloth; you can also use an affordable sizeable white bath towel.
- If you’re using plain white for the backing, it is best to use white bobbin thread regardless of the thread color for the printed side, so stitches are not noticeable.
Your little ones need frequent wiping because they normally spit up, especially when they are burped. Burp clothes should be ideally absorbent and soft for your baby’s delicate skin but must also withstand several washes. It is every mom’s daily essential used in cleaning up their babies. As a mom, it is worth spending a little time to learn how to make baby burp cloths. This project will give you satisfaction for your craftmanship. Get more tips on burp cloths.