As parents, we all know that babies come with costly expenses. From the new crib to new clothes to new feeding items and new toys, you need to give your baby the pampering and care they deserve. But, of course, you should not forget to budget, especially for the other expenses at home. One way to save money is to upcycle old clothes and transform them into new, cute, and fitting baby clothes for your little one, In this article, you will learn the difference between recycling and upcycling. Not only that, but you will also learn how to make baby clothes from old clothes without dropping a sweat. Read on.
Upcycling Old Clothes
Upcycling is a new trend that can help up save money and save the environment! What is upcycling, by the way? How is it different from recycling? Recycling is, of course, breaking down your wastes or junk, in this context, old clothes into their raw materials and transform them into something new. Upcycling, on the other hand, uses the same junk—again, your old clothes, and repurposes them into something new while maintaining the same original quality—in this case, new clothes for your kids!
Get a Sewing Kit
The first thing you need if you want to know how to make baby clothes from old clothes is to get a simple sewing kit. It must have your different colored threads, scissors, a tape measure, sewing needles, a tailor’s chalk, and thimble. If your mother has a sewing machine, all the better! And if you can afford to buy one, sure, why not? It is a great investment, after all! You can even start up a small baby clothing line business that can help you earn.
Find your Baby Clothes Pattern
The next thing you need to do is choose the different baby clothes patterns you want to copy or make. These baby clothes will serve as your guide in making new ones from your old clothes. Are you going to make your baby onesies, skirts, dresses, shirts, pants, or even sweatshirts? Find or buy cheap ones that can serve as your patterns before you can start sewing away.
Making New Baby Clothes
Now, it is time to know how to make baby clothes from old clothes! Once you have your sewing kit or sewing machine ready, and your baby clothes patterns, you will go! Here is a simple guide in making your baby’s new clothes:
- Find an old shirt. This can be a plain colored shirt or patterns, like striped, plaid, or anything artsy. Make sure that the shirt is inside out.
- Get your baby pattern. For this guide, let us use baby pants.
- Take the measurements of the baby pants using your tape measure from your sewing kit. Use the measurements to mark, using a tailor’s chalk, on the old shirt. Once done, cut the traced pattern using your scissors. These are the new pants’ legs.
- Unfold the new pants’ legs and place them together. Just make sure that the right sides of your newly cut pants are touching.
- Start sewing from the waist to the crotch area. Be careful not to sew the front and backside together.
- Get an elastic garter and have it folded over on the waist part. Sew the fold close.
- Sew the pants legs together. Check for thread spacing; make sure there is no side left unsewn.
- Turn the new baby pants right side out, and voila!—you have new baby pants for your little one!
You can do the same process with your other baby clothes patterns. You must note that you need to be patient doing this. Some clothes may take time to complete because of a complicated pattern or design. You can also use the remaining fabric from your old clothes to make a beanie hat or any of your fancy. See how amazing it is to learn how to make baby clothes from old clothes? Surely, your baby will love it! Know more about baby clothes.
Now you know how to make baby clothes from old clothes—or basically, you now learned how to upcycle your old clothes and transform them into new baby clothes. Not only does it help you save money for your other equally important expenses, but it also helps saves the environment and the Earth from unnecessary wastes. Very eco-friendly, right?
Make sure that you familiarize yourself with all the rules and guidelines in this article to create cute little clothes for your little ones successfully. It can also be a new hobby for you new parents.