Buying clothes for your little one can be expensive. They are quite costly these days, even though the demand is just quite right. That’s why moms out there who thought about making baby clothes are on the right track. Learning how to make baby clothes will not only allow you to think outside the box but also saves you money.
One good thing about baby clothes is that they can be easily made in your own home. It will give you a lot of time to think about the designs. In this article, I will teach and share how to make baby clothes for your cute little one. The following guidelines are there to help you whenever you want to make baby clothes in the future.
Why Make Baby Clothes?
In case you don’t know, the process of making baby clothes is quite an easy and basic thing to do. Making baby clothes will not require you to be an expert at all. Plus, it saves you loads of money and enhances your sewing skills. Making your baby’s clothes will also give you time to be with yourself and focus on sewing and making altogether.
Although sewing is needed, for the most part, it only requires basic sewing. Materials needed are almost available inside your closet or in your local store. Moreover, baby clothes don’t require too many fabrics as they are still too tiny. Without further ado, let’s discuss and teach you the basics of how to make baby clothes in your home.
Steps on How to Make Baby Clothes
Reusing your old and vintage clothes creates so many outfits. In this way, you don’t need to start from scratch, and you will only do a few normal cuts here and there and some basic sewing.
Baby rompers are one of the best baby clothes out there that are perfect for our babies. Not only do they look elegant but neat as well. If you know how to make baby clothes just like rompers, we’ll just need two basic materials, a youth-sized shirt, and a onesie.
In choosing the fabric, start with the best part and have an adorable snuggle flannel. But remember that you can use any flannel from the fabric store. Make sure that they are soft for your baby’s face, and the design must be adorable. As you have chosen the fabric, wash it right away so they’ll be clean and ready.
Lay the romper on the top of the shirt and fold them both in half. Be sure to line them up when folding. Now trace the onesie outline over the shirt, be sure to use a tailor’s chalk so it won’t stain for long. You should narrow down the sleeves and make plenty of space through the legs to avoid tightly fitted onesie for your baby.
Sew Your Burp Cloths
Sew around the fabric’s outer edge, leaving a ¼-inch seam allowance and room to turn it out. You need to trim any excess fabric in the corners to allow the cloths to lay flat nicer. Since these are usually heavily used, you may fold the small opening and topstitch a straight stitch over it.
Finish Off your Burp Cloths
Once done and the burp cloth has been closed, it’s time to press the burp cloth. Burp cloths will look much more beautiful when they are pressed after sewing. After pressing, you can finish off your burp cloth with a decorative stitch across the edges. A zig-zag stitch is the most appropriate, especially if you have stitched more fabrics. You can also be more creative in your stitches.
These baby burp cloths can be made in less than an hour, and it is fulfilling for every mom to know how to make baby burp cloths that are made especially for their babies.
Few Tips in Making Baby Burp Cloths
Before making baby burp cloths, there are some tips to consider so you will have more convenience in your first sewing project attempt. These tips on how to make baby burp cloths are also helpful in making your work more creative.
- Have the fabrics pre-shrunk in hot water and hot dryer before beginning to sew. Both flannel and cotton are notorious for shrinking. It would be best if you also ironed them well before starting.
- It saves you time by using good quality diapers as the base and then enhancing cotton prints or rick rack.
- You need to select durable materials, including trims because they hold up well to frequent washing and drying.
- You have to consider using patterns and designs that will hide stains well.
- When you want to give it as a gift, wrap them up in bundles of three with a wide ribbon tie or give individually, rolled, and tied tight with tulle pieces or lace.
- For some elaboration and edging ideas, you can have a Grosgrain Ribbon, wide RicRac, Fabric Bias, Zig-zag finish, Serged finishing, or clipped and frayed edges.
- You have to ensure that all thread tails are clipped close to avoid chances of anything winding around the baby’s little fingers.
- For backing ideas, try Minky, Chenille, Terry Cloth; you can also use an affordable sizeable white bath towel.
- If you’re using plain white for the backing, it is best to use white bobbin thread regardless of the thread color for the printed side, so stitches are not noticeable.
Your little ones need frequent wiping because they normally spit up, especially when they are burped. Burp clothes should be ideally absorbent and soft for your baby’s delicate skin but must also withstand several washes. It is every mom’s daily essential used in cleaning up their babies. As a mom, it is worth spending a little time to learn how to make baby burp cloths. This project will give you satisfaction for your craftmanship. Get more tips on burp cloths.