A trend is happening right now with the surge of Instagram photos of baby girls swaddled with a cute accessory on their heads in various-themed pictorials. These head accessories may be in different designs and patterns that your little one will love. These are called top knot headbands that are becoming the latest fad happening in baby fashion. In this article, you will learn how to make baby knot headbands to give your little girl that trendy and fashionable look. These DIY headbands are so simple to make and will cost you even less.
Fabric Length per Age
Of course, before you learn how to make baby knot headbands, you need to know how long the fabric you will be using. Just to get the proper measurements, the fabric should be the head circumference of your baby plus eight inches. Here is a reference you can use depending on the age of your little one:
- Newborns: You will need a 6in x 22in knit fabric
- 0 to 6 Months: You will need a 6in x 25in knit fabric
- 6 to 12 Months: You will need a 6in x 27in knit fabric
- 1 to 3 Years: You will need a 6in x 28in knit fabric
- 3 to 12 Years: You will need a 6in x 30in knit fabric
- Teen Years: You will need a 6in x 32in knit fabric
Fabric Prints and Designs
Another thing you need to consider when making a baby knot headband is, of course, the print and the design of the fabric! You can go plain but bright colors or any patterned knit fabrics that are cute and suitable for your little one! You can go all animal-themed or flower-themed. There are so many options to choose from to make your baby look pretty.
Things You Need
Before you can start on how to make baby knot headbands, you need to prepare the things you will use:
- Knit fabric—cut to the proper measurements already
- Picture frame or book—to tie your headband around
- Pins and needles
- Rotary scissors or regular scissors
- Sewing machine
Making Baby Knot Headbands
Once you have all the things you need, it is time to start working on your baby’s top knot headband. Here is a brief and simple step-by-step guide in making this trendy headband.
- Choosing the Fabric. The first step on how to make baby knot headbands is to choose the fabric. If you want it very elastic and stretchy, it depends on you. But I suggest you go with the knit fabric that is not super stretchy. You can also choose plain colors or fancy designs of knit fabrics. Just make sure it is in the right length.
- Sewing the Headband. Before you sew it, fold your knit fabric right sides together lengthwise. Then, iron the fabric flat so that it will not easily roll. Then, pin the fabric to keep the sides together. Mark the knit fabric’s center by folding it in half, then place another pin as your point. Get your sewing machine ready and saw the edges of your headband using a zigzag or knit stitch. Using a zigzag or knit stitch is one way to avoid having the seams tore off easily.
- Turning it Inside Out. Before anything else, you need to leave a gap that is less than an inch where you marked your center. The reason for this is to make turning the headband inside out easier before you tie it into a top knot. Gently fold one corner of the headband towards the center gap to slowly pull it out. Do the same thing with the other side. Make sure you know have a tube-looking headband. Make the corners pointy by inserting a pencil; gently use the tip to make the sewn and folded corners a sharper point to make it a prettier bow.
- Tying the Knot. Here is the final step. Using the picture frame or anything to help you tie your headband around, tie the headband’s left side over the right side, and pull up. Then, take the top side of the headband and tie it over the bottom side. Pull to make the knot. You can keep tying the knot a bit to get that bow look. Now you have a top knot headband for your baby! Know more about baby clothes.
Now you know how to make baby knot headbands that are cute and stylish for your little girl. All you need are knit fabrics, some pins, and a sewing machine and apply the steps you have learned from this article. Your baby girl deserves pretty accessories in her wardrobe that can match whatever season. You only need a few minutes to complete one. Hopefully, you can master the simple guide and keep your baby updated with baby fashion trends to get her smiling and cheerful every day.