A knotted headband is such a cute accessory you can make for your baby. Making a top knot headband is easy. That’s why in this article, you are going to learn more about the basic steps on how to make baby top knot headbands. Although you can purchase them in your local stores, why not customize your very own for your little bundle of joy? One of the best parts of making your top knot headband is letting your imagination and creativity take over, and in doing so, you are making a great headband for your baby.
Steps on How to Make Baby Top Knot Headbands
The steps on how to make baby top knot headbands are made easy, that even beginners can do it. It only requires basic sewing skills and equipment to make this accessory. Plus, you can even use some of your old clothes that are stylish enough but aren’t used anymore. Without further ado, below are the quick and easy steps on how to make baby knot headbands.
Things You’ll Need
- Old or used Clothing
When doing this project, I like to be more creative and thrifty in the sense that I go to my favorite thrift shop and look for clothes that are beautifully patterned and have cute designs. At the same time, you can also purchase other fabrics that are good for your liking and suits your baby well. For me, the more colorful the headbands look, the cuter our babies are!
- Step 1. When using an old Tee shirt, before cutting, you would want to make the side seam as smooth as possible before cutting. This will give a smoother finish when they are flattened out.
- Step 2. Before cutting your Tee shirt, draw a pattern into a bond paper that will design the headband’s shape. If you are using fabric, fold it in half and place your drawn pattern on the fold before cutting.
- Step 3. Cut around two pieces from the fabric using the pattern you drew. Make sure that you cut from the Tee shirt side so that they would be doubled in size when they are laid out.
- Step 4. Get your cuttings and lay them out on a flat surface and flatten them out. After that, place them on top of each other. See to it that the right sides are facing each other. This will give the beautiful design of the headband piece.
- Step 5. Use a sewing machine to sew the edges of the headband piece together. You can either use a zigzag stitch or a straight stitch, depends on what suits you. After that, ensure to backstitch and leave around a 1/2 – 3/4 inch aperture to curve the headband into the right side. The outline has noticeable marks where this opening should be.
- Step 6. The opening should be just in the arc before the fizzed end of the topknot headband. Lastly, turn the topknot headband from the right side out about the small opening you earlier left.
- Step 7. It should now be looking like an actual headband or a belt. You don’t have to worry about the small opening you used to turn your headband around. It is just placed right so that you can see traces of that small opening when you tie the knot. You can even hardly notice it.
- Step 8. Shape the headband, and use a flat iron to smoothen the entire headband before placing it in your baby’s head. Crips the edges so that they look good when you turn them around, no flimsy edges here.
That’s how to make baby top knot headbands for your baby. It’s a pretty quick and easy guide for you. Your baby gets to enjoy these cute little accessories on their head for the months to come. Plus, you are doing it in the cheap way possible! A happy mom is a happy baby.
If you want to make another top-knotted headband in the future, try looking for fabrics and other comfortable materials for your baby. Always choose breathable fabrics and one that doesn’t loosen up pretty quickly. Moreover, these options are highly efficient for your headband making and don’t require you to splurge heft amounts of cash in the process.
Best Fabrics for Babies
If you are planning to learn and know how to make baby top knot headbands, we highly recommend these fabrics for your babies! Not only they’re designed for babies, but they are quite cheap and easy to use as materials for your future headband projects!
By far, the most impressive fabrics for your babies. They are amongst the best choice when it comes to materials for your babies. Cotton is highly absorbent and soft, perfect for your baby’s delicate skin.
Jersey knits are like pieces of cotton too. They are pretty reliable when it comes to your baby’s skin interaction. They are more durable and can withstand the movements of your baby. Plus, they are dirt cheap if you ask me.
One of the perfect fabrics for babies. Whether you pick single or double-layered, gauze has that soothing touch from your skin that easily gives you that relaxing feel. Plus, it doesn’t induce that itchy feeling you get from other types of fabrics too.
Baby top knot headbands are a good way to add some cuteness to your baby’s appearance. They are basic and simple to make and don’t require having professional expertise for sewing or cutting. With our basic steps on how to make baby top knot headbands, you are sure to make one for your cute little one. Get more tips on baby headbands.