How To Make Stretchy Headbands For Babies
One of the usual articles we see on babies everywhere, along with baby hand mitts, foot socks, drool bibs, and teething pacifiers, are the cute stretchy headbands parents put on them. They are richly fashionable and charming, especially for little girls. Since dressing up too much is not yet advisable for babies because they get too hot quickly, headbands are sure ways to help them become the fashionistas they are going to be. Fantastic about stretchy headbands is they come in such a wide range of varieties in color, patterns, and overall design. Plus, they are easy to come across on the internet. You can even make your version of stretchy baby headbands by searching about how to make stretchy headbands for babies. This article will help you do just that.
General Materials You Will Need to Make a Headband
Making a headband is simple as long as you know your way around a sewing machine or if you are handy with a thread and needle. You only need a few things that are most likely already in your house, aside from the fabric. The following are the general materials you will need to successfully finish a course on how to make stretchy headbands for babies:
- Cutting tool. The recommended cutting tool to use is a rotary cutter and a cutting mat because it produces a cleaner look with straight edges. But if you do not have a rotary cutter, you can opt for a pair of regular scissors.
- Measuring tool. The measuring instrument is only useful in the first parts of the crafting. You can use a simple ruler.
- Fabric. Usually, people opt for soft cotton to make stretchy headbands for their babies. Just make sure that the fabric material you choose is non-irritating on the sensitive skin of your baby.
- Sewing machine or sewing kit. Having a sewing machine is handy for crafts like this, but they are not essential. You can choose to use the usual needle and thread combination to perform this DIY.
- Sewing fabric pins. It would be best if you had these pins, so you do not have to second-guess where you need to stitch.
- Sewing loop turner. Sewing loop turners are not necessary but are useful, especially when using cotton fabric.
An Easy Way to Make Stretchy Headbands for Babies
With DIY projects, you can customize and go along your way. You can adjust every step according to what you need and according to your skillset. You can also search about how to make a stretchy headband for a baby the easiest ways so you can skip the step of conceptualizing. We will now provide you an idea of how to make stretchy headbands for babies.
Before doing the steps for this tutorial, measure first the head circumference of your baby.
- Prepare the fabric. Cut the fabric according to the measurement you got and take off an inch from the circumference. An example would be using a six inches wide by 16 inches long material. Make sure that you prepare two of the same ones.
- Fold the fabric in half. Neatly fold the fabric along the shorter side so the six inches will become three inches. Pin the material down. Do this for the other one as well.
- Sew a half-inch seam. With the folded pieces of fabric, you can take them to the sewing machine, and you can proceed to sew them down on both sides. You can try pulling taut the material, so it looks flatter, and it will not curl unnecessarily while sewing.
- Turn the pieces inside out. Take the pieces of cloth and turn them inside out, so the stitching is clean.
- Shift seams to center. Make sure that the seams are at the center to give off a more refined finish.
- Create an X. Put one of the sewn fabric pieces on top of the other. Make sure that both are at the center. They will form an X with this step.
- Let the ends meet. Take one end of one of the pieces and cross it to the other end. Do the same for the other piece of fabric. With this, you now have two loops of material attached.
- Bring the four ends together. With the loops you made, you now have four ends. Please bring all of them together in a neat stack.
- Pin down the two inside pieces. With the four ends, identify the two parts which meet in the middle, effectively attaching the two pieces. Pin them down.
- Pin down two of the ends that were together from the start. Take the piece of fabric and pin down an outside end and an inside end.
- Switch the position of the other outside piece. After the previous steps, there should be one end of the fabric that is left unattended. Take that piece and bring it around the other three so you can pin it on the other outside end. Make sure that the seams are visible on this one.
- Sew using the straight stitch method. Stitch together the two outside ends you put together also the supposedly inside ends before the switching happened.
- Clean up the fabric and the stitching. Cut off any excess thread and trim the material, so it has a clean finish.
- Sew again using the straight stitch method. Since you now have two parts, you can go ahead and stitch them down together.
- Finalize the appearance of the headband. You can now nudge it around, so it looks its best. And now, you can go and try it on your baby. Congratulations on completing this course on how to make stretchy headbands for babies.
It is a fulfilling task to be able to make articles or items your baby needs. One thing you can do or make yourself is the stretchy headbands. It is easy, as you can search on how to make stretchy headbands for babies online, and so many will pop out on your window. So, have fun doing these dainty crafts with your family.
January 9, 2021
By: Louie Dickenson
Vintage baby headbands look so cute and make your little one all the more adorable. The classic look inspires a timeless design. You don’t need any sewing experience to make some of them, and all you will need are those commonly available materials.
January 7, 2021
By: Rachel Welsh
Modern-day toys have taken up new forms that kids of today love so well. People tested different colors, textures, sizes, and other qualities to create excellent toys for the young ones.
January 1, 2021
By: Louie Dickenson
Are you expecting a baby girl? Or do you need a last-minute shower gift for a friend? A baby headband is such a cute accessory for baby girls. When you have a baby girl, one of its perks is to dress her up according to your heart’s desire.