Infants and toddlers look more adorable with neckties on—these ties are a fun way of dressing up even with plain white shirts and giving color to your kid’s outfit. Also, you do not have to spend on ready-made neckties in the department store. You can make one on your own. Not only can you save expenses, but you can customize the best suitable for your baby. In this article, you will learn the steps on how to sew a baby necktie.
Not Only for Adults
Baby neckties are becoming the new fashion trend for both little boys and girls. They all come in different patterns and designs. Some come in plain colors, and others come in bright, eye-popping designs. Babies are already cute, and neckties make them even more adorable. Neckties are a great addition to your little one’s accessories and can work great not only with button-downs but also plain shirts—the most important thing to note, though, is that neckties are no longer only for the big guys. And what is great is you will learn how to sew a baby necktie for your kids!
When to Use Baby Neckties
You ask, though, “When should my kid even use baby neckties?” Well, unlike for the adults, neckties for babies are not only meant to be worn during formal occasions. As they are a flashy trend right now, your kids can wear baby neckties anytime and anywhere! You can have your baby wear them during themed birthdays. You can let the kids have fun during the holidays—Easter, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas! With cute and eye-catching designs, your kid will be the center of attention during these events!
Prepare Your Materials
Before starting on how to sew a baby necktie, you need to prepare the different materials you will need and use! You do not need to buy expensive or costly materials. Also, you have to consider what occasion or holiday you are making it for? That way, you will quickly find what design of fabric you are looking for. Here are the items you will need for a successful baby necktie sewing:
- A pair of scissors or rotary cutter
- A ruler
- Cute and adorable fabric designs—preferably cut in 14in x 5in and another in 4in x 5in
- Elastic band—your little one’s neck measurements
- Interfacing stabilizer fabric—also cut in the same measurements; no need for a 4in x 5in
- Necktie pattern—this is optional; you can search around the Internet
- Sewing machine
- Velcro—this one is optional
Making the Baby Necktie
Now that you got the items ready, it is time to start on how to sew a baby necktie! You will learn it step-by-step—make sure you master these so that you can make more baby neckties for every occasion. Here is the brief and simple guide on how to sew baby neckties:
- Step 1: Iron your chosen fabric to remove any creases or folds. Do the same to your interface stabilizer fabric.
- Step 2: Cut your fabric based on your pattern or based on the measurements given above. You will need two pieces: one that measures 14in x 5in (for the necktie) and another that measures 4in x 5in (necktie centerfold).
- Step 3: Cut your interface stabilizer fabric with the first measurements.
- Step 4: Put the interface fabric under your main fabric.
- Step 5: With these two fabrics together, fold one corner and cut the folded piece off using your scissors. Then, fold up the remaining corner to form a triangle or V end.
- Step 6: Sew the open edge with your sewing machine. A simple stitch will do. Then, cut off the pointy part without cutting the sewn part. This technique avoids making it bulky once you turn the tie right side out (the one with the design face) and have a sharp end.
- Step 7: Fold the tie in half lengthwise and sew the edges. Turn it right side out and set it aside. You know have your tie body.
- Step 8: Get the 4in x 5in fabric and fold it in half, with the 5-inch sides together. Sew the edge together and turn it right side out.
- Step 9: With that little tube fabric, fold the left side up and then the right side to form a little triangle that faces you.
- Step 10: Put this little triangle over and on the top edge of your tie body. Sew the edges together. Trim the loose threads.
- Step 11: Now, loop and insert the tie body into the little triangle. Pull it halfway through. Do not pull it completely because you will start looping it again to form the tie knot.
- Step 12: With fabric or an elastic band, insert the band through the tie not. If you are using fabric, you can add Velcro on the ends of the fabric to make a lock.
- Step 13: If you are using an elastic band, sew the band’s ends using the sewing machine.
- Step 14: Pull the tie body again to secure the elastic band or fabric with Velcro firmly in place.
- Step 15: Iron your newly sewn tie and let your little kid wear it!
Now you know how to sew a baby necktie. Your baby and their cute little necktie will be the talk of every celebration. Hopefully, you will properly apply what you have learned to give your baby the best baby outfit and accessories they can ever have. Just remember, you can make use of whatever design or fabric you want. There are also different patterns available you can follow! Familiarize yourself with the guidelines, and surely you will have a successfully crafted baby necktie. Know more about baby clothes.