How To Sew Baby Mittens: A DIY Project
Sewing baby mittens for your little one can be done at home to reduce stress, anxiety, and a way to be productive for the day. It is recommended that moms like you know how to sew baby mittens to improve your sewing skills. You probably think that making DIY baby mittens and booties is challenging. But the truth is that it's very easy and will only require you to do just a little work. This article will give you the basic steps and guidelines on how to sew baby mittens.
Why Sew Baby Mittens?
Baby mittens can be easily bought in your local store. However, if you are a mom who is fond of doing things while your baby is fast asleep, then sewing mittens are the perfect chore for you to make. Not only does it kills time, but you are making a baby product for your precious little one.
Also, did you know that sewing has a lot of benefits for you? Although it may sound like an experiment, sewing has a lot of positive impact on you. And we’ve listed down some of the benefits of learning how to sew baby mittens.
- Sewing your baby mittens gives you that customized look for your baby mittens. Baby mittens are easy to sew and aren't quite labor-intensive as you may think. It gives that unique look you envision before sewing it. The feeling of nobody wears that same mitten is a joy, especially if you made it.
- Sewing can be quite therapeutic, which means that whenever you are sewing, it gives that sense of well-being, inner focus, and a more content human being. Many moms find sewing as a passion wherein they feel happy and relaxed whenever they do it. It alleviates post-partum depression symptoms, as well.
- Sewing is eco-friendly. Buying never-ending clothes should only produce more waste in the landfill. By sewing your clothes or your baby's clothes, you minimize the garbage produce in your little way.
- Sewing boosts your creativity and passion. Not only sewing can be quite therapeutic, but it also enhances your creativity. For me, the best benefit when sewing is giving you that added creativity to think about your baby mittens' designs like nobody else.
- Sewing is a good way to have perfectly-fitted baby mittens. If you plan to make baby mittens, it is customary to measure the appropriate size for your kids, which in turn gives them a perfect fit rather than just buying all of them in the store.
- Sewing is lifelong learning. This means that sewing time and time again will ultimately give you the best experience on how to hone your craft. If you sew something every nap time, you develop the necessary skills and craftsmanship to make well-designed baby mittens and other clothing for your baby in the years to come. Quite a cost-effective way, right?
Steps on How to Sew Baby Mittens
It doesn't matter if its summertime or wintertime because any season is the perfect time to make baby mittens. These mittens ensure that your baby won't scratch their cheeks, tummy, face, and sorts. Moreover, the fabrics I used or you should be as comfortable as possible, like cotton. If you want to learn and know how to sew baby mittens, below are the steps that you can follow.
Things you’ll need:
- Eight 11cm x 9.5cm felt pieces (four for each mitten)
- Thread and Needle
Get your felt pieces. We have eight pieces and 4 for each hand. Round the top portions up just like the tip of your baby’s hand.
Put two pieces facing the right side to each other. And carefully stitch them together, leaving the bottom end open. You can hand-sew them, or you can sew them using a sewing machine. It depends on you.
Now take the lining of the mitten and flip that with the right side facing out. Now you are going to take that piece and put it inside the other mitten. This will give a more appropriate look and plenty of layers to keep your baby’s hand safe and comfortable. Adjust it until both are completely joined with each other.
When the two pieces are together, sew half an inch around them to secure both felt pieces.
Sew half an inch around edges. You will be making a space for the hem to be created. This will allow the proper casing for your elastic to be inserted.
Use a hair or needle to glide your elastic inside and outside. Secure the elastic and close the elastic casing off. And you are done! Pretty quick and easy.
For the last part, Do the steps again for the other pair.
Just a tip: you can purchase fabrics with many designs and artwork to give a more appealing look for your baby. Also, babies love colorful clothing and products. These products will give them plenty of attention.
Another tip on how to sew baby mittens, keep them washed with a fragrance-free detergent, or never mix them with the rest of the laundry. Remember, some mittens tend to be chewed on and munched on by babies. It would be hard if these mittens contain harmful chemicals when washed as it leaves some residue behind if not properly washed and sanitized.
Sewing baby mittens is rewarding. When your baby is asleep, there are many things you can do with this time for you to be productive, one of them is learning how to sew baby mittens. The steps on how to sew baby mittens are pretty plain and simple, and it is highly recommended for beginners too. This is a perfect past time, especially if you are just at home and taking good care of your baby.
January 8, 2021
By: Louie Dickenson
Mittens, like most of the baby’s wardrobe, are readily available in the market. But if you want to personalize your baby’s mittens, you may do so. There are various ways on how to make a baby mittens.
January 5, 2021
By: Josie Ray
Do you have all the things your baby needs on your checklist? If you are contemplating whether or not to get mittens, maybe we can help.