It has been a hot debate among parents whether cloth diaper is better than disposable diapers. There can be advantages and disadvantages when you use any of the two. Some parents are concern with disposable diapers having an adverse effect on the baby’s health but convenient. Others find cloth diapers more practical and could help them save instead of buying diapers every day. But is cloth diaper better than disposable diapers? For you to know which is better, you have to know and understand their advantages and disadvantages.
Cloth diapers, also known as cloth nappy, is a type of diapers that are made of natural fibers. These are reusable and washable diapers. Like any other diaper, these types still have the basic functions, like their ability to hold liquid and prevent it from leaking. Is cloth diaper better than disposable? In general, these cloth diapers function the same way as the disposable diapers, but instead of throwing it after using, you can have it washed and reuse.
Parts of Cloth Diaper
- Cover. The cover is made of waterproof fabric, so it is responsible for the leak protection feature. The cover also is made to fit the baby’s body. Some come in different sizes, while others are in one-size-fits-all. It also has locks that can either be a snap or a hook.
- Pre-folds. The pre-folds are the pieces of fabric that are folded and insert inside the cover. This is the fiber that directly touches the baby’s skin. This fabric is sized according to the weight of the baby. And these pieces are responsible for absorbing liquids.
Advantage of Cloth Diapers
Is cloth diaper better than disposable? Both cloth and disposable diapers can offer you the same convenience. However, they might vary in some ways. And if you are still undecided, get yourself familiar with the basics, such as the benefits you can enjoy when you choose the cloth diaper.
- Cost-Efficient. Disposable diapers are less expensive than cloth diapers. However, in the long run, you will find out that using cloth nappy will save you money on daily expenses. This is because you will be throwing the disposable diapers. And you have to stock more, so you won’t run out of supply. Also, babies change their diapers every two or three hours. So, imagine how many you need to buy. While with the cloth diaper, you only have to buy once. You can wash, dry, and reuse. This will make it cost-effective.
- Comes in Different Design. Cloth diapers come in different designs, which can also be fashionable. There are several designs that you can choose from. So, depending on your needs, you can select whether such design will serve you better.
- Adjustable. Generally, a cloth diaper can be adjusted to fit the size of your baby. They can also grow with your baby until they learn to use the toilet. Cloth diapers can accompany your baby while they are on potty training.
- Made of Soft and Eco-friendly Fabric. The cloth diapers are made of soft and smooth fabric. Your baby has the liberty to move around without being hurt with the linings of the diaper. You can also easily adjust it base on their comfortability. The softness of the materials will also protect your baby’s skin, so they are less likely to develop rashes and other skin allergies.
Disadvantages of Cloth Diaper
- You Cannot Travel with Them. The thing about cloth diaper is, you can’t travel with it. You can easily change cloth diapers, but the thought that you need to carry with you the dirty diaper is very inconvenient. This is especially true when you are on a long trip.
- Additional Workload of Washing and Cleaning. Being a mother and caring for the baby is already a handful, so with cloth diapers, you have the extra workload of cleaning and washing it. It requires a lot of energy because you need to clean the diapers to be safe for reuse.
- May Cause Increase on Water and Electric Bills. Washing cloth diaper does not only requires energy, but you also need a lot of water and electricity in washing it. This will be an additional load and cycle in your washing machine.
Is cloth diaper better than disposable diapers? Disposable diapers offer convenience, even when you are traveling. You don’t have to carry dirty diapers with you because you have to throw it away after changing. You don’t need to wash them, and it will not add up to your water or electric bills. However, disposable diapers can be costly in the long run, because you need to buy and store more to make sure you don’t run out of stock. Find out more about cloth diapers.
Cloth diaper has the same function and convenience as that of disposable diapers. So, is cloth diaper better than disposable ones? Some parents prefer to use cloth diapers, and others find it ideal to use disposable ones. A few parents find it necessary to use both when the situation calls the use of cloth or disposable diapers. As a parent, you need the one that could lighten your workload. One type of diaper is never better than the other. It will only depend on your preference and circumstance.