When Do Babies Need To Stop Wearing Bodysuits?
Babies go through a lot of changes in their first few years, and it isn't all physical. They also grow out of swaddles, breastfeeding, and other things that they're used to. As parents, it's essential to know when these things happen. One question you may have asked in your parenting journey is - when do babies stop wearing bodysuits? In this article, we'll learn more about bodysuits as well as some alternatives you can try.
A Quick Guide On Baby Bodysuits
These one-piece baby garments is necessary to add to a baby’s wardrobe because of several good reasons. So before you find out when do babies stop wearing bodysuits, let's find out why getting your baby a bodysuit is important.
Why Are Baby Bodysuits Good For Babies
- Bodysuits can be worn as top layers for warm weather.
- The snaps located on the crotch makes it easy for you to change diapers.
- Bodysuits can easily be paired with pajamas or leggings for a comfortable and stretchy feel all year round.
Important Features to Consider When Buying Bodysuits
If you’re planning to shop for some pieces of bodysuits for your baby, you need to consider several things. Here are some:
Look for features that will ensure your babies' comfort. Consider lightweight and breathable materials like cotton. Make sure that the material is soft to touch as this is also an indication of its quality. Cotton is ideal for newborns because of its natural and gentle material. Cotton is also a good regulator of temperature and moisture, which helps keep babies cool in warm weather and warm in cool weather. It’s also durable and easy to wash.
- Features for easy dressing
Onesies should make it easy for you to get your baby dressed. Look for features like an expandable neckline or leg openings.
- Quick changing features
Features like snaps on the crotch will make it easy for you to undress your baby or change his diapers. Look for a bodysuit that will make it easy for you to change your baby on the go.
Signs That You Need Transition Babies Out Of Bodysuits
If you're wondering when do babies stop wearing bodysuits, you need to check for several signs. Here are some of the indicators that mean your baby is growing out of that onesie to keep you guided:
- When your child begins his potty training, that is the best time to transition a baby out of his bodysuits. You don't want to give him a difficult time undoing the snaps before sitting on the potty.
- Twenty-four months is the average age that babies stop wearing bodysuits. But because some companies provide these onesies in different sizes, other parents opt to keep their children in these clothing longer until a more pressing sign becomes obvious.
- Learn to trust your gut as a parent. You know what's best for your child. Small details like wearing or not wearing onesies are mostly based on your intuition. Do not be overly concerned about when do babies stop wearing bodysuits because it should still be up to you.
NOTE: There is no required age to stop a baby from wearing onesies. Some cases demand onesies even beyond their potty training years. As long as it fits, it should still be okay.
Sometimes a bodysuit is still useful regardless of your baby’s age. If your baby is prone to removing his diaper, he can stick to onesies. Babies with special needs can benefit from a bodysuit as well even beyond 24 months.
Baby Clothes That Every Newborn Should Own
A baby bodysuit is just one of many other things you should have for your baby. After deciding when do babies stop wearing bodysuits, you can add other items to help you as a new parent. Here are some tips to equip your little one’s wardrobe with useful types of clothes.
- Invest in good sleepwear - your baby spends a lot of time sleeping, which makes comfortable sleepwear a must-have in your baby's wardrobe.
- Get burp cloths and bibs - learn to anticipate the amount of burping your baby will do, you can buy several of these burp cloths, so you don't easily run out.
- Consider getting outerwear like jackets for cold seasons. Anticipate your baby's temperature changes by getting a beautiful coat or outerwear. These items are still useful even in places with warmer weather.
- Invest in a good pair of shoes and stock up on socks. Covering your baby's feet will help keep them warm. Our feet have many blood vessels that help regulate our body temperature, which is why this is an important part to cover for babies.
- Caps. Similarly to feet, babies regulate their temperature through their heads as well. You can protect them from fluctuations by getting them a hat.
- Buy blankets and swaddles. A swaddle will keep your baby comfortable while adjusting to the real world.
- Buy bath gear for your baby. Make your bath time easier by getting bath gear that makes your job quicker, like a hooded quick-dry towel.
- Organic. Check if you can get clothes made of organic cotton. This material is free from a lot of harmful chemicals that may cause irritation and rash.
Tips When Choosing Baby Clothes
- Stick to machine-wash clothing. You want to save as much time as possible, which is why you should stick to machine-wash clothes.
- Shop based on your baby's height and weight. Avoid shopping by baby's age. There are many babies with height and weight below or above the average ones of the same age.
When it comes to the decision of when a baby should stop wearing onesies, it relies totally on the parent's preference. Now that you know the factors that affect when do babies stop wearing bodysuits, you can apply those suggested in this article, but feel free to do what you think is best for your child. Always trust your guts and remember to keep safety the number one priority when it comes to taking care of a baby.
January 4, 2021
By: Louie Dickenson
Whether you’re considering breastfeeding, switching to formula, or having a mixture of both, infant bottles are an essential piece of every new mom’s life.