Headbands are created to protect the baby’s face against her hair. But over the years, this has become something more than protection. Headbands can now be used as accessories to give little girls an adorable outfit. Headbands with big bows are more lovely to look at, especially when it matches their dress. So, learn how to make baby headbands with big bows to give your little girl some protection while giving her overall outfit a charming look.
What are Headbands
Headbands are straps of fabric or any material used to contain hair or prevent any matter from falling from the head to a person’s face. Through time, these bands have varied and evolved in design, as well as their purpose.
Baby headbands usually come in a softer fabric and elaborate designs that suit your cute and charming bundle of joy. A simple and eye-catching design for a baby headband is with a big bow. Baby headbands with big bows are very adorable to look at. So, if you know how to make baby headbands with big bows, you can definitely gift your daughter or even your niece something on her birthday or even on ordinary days when you want them to have a headdress. You can also follow the steps on a DIY baby bow headband.
Making the Headband
When you want your little girl to look adorable, a beautiful headband is a good choice. So, if you are to attend an event and you need to accessorize your little girl’s overall outfit, then a headband with a bow is a perfect choice. Learn how to make baby headbands with big bows, and let your baby look cute with them.
What you Need
- Knit fabric or any soft cloth with the texture of your choice. Fabric length is ideally your baby’s head circumference + 5-10 inches more depending on how big or how many bows you are going to make. The width of the fabric should not be less than 6 inches.
- Sewing machine. But if a machine is not available, you can sew it with your hands. Then you will need a thread and needle.
If you have all the materials, you can start studying how to make baby headbands with big bows. Start creating the headband by cutting the fabric to sizes for the band’s different parts.
- Cut one part of the fabric with 5 inches in length. This will serve as the bow for the headband. If you opt for a larger bow, you can cut the cloth more than 5 inches. And in case you want a double bow, double the pieces you cut.
- Get another piece of fabric and cut it with a length of 2-3 inches. We will use this part for the center of the bow.
- Measure the last piece according to the baby’s head circumference and cut that length from the fabric. This will be used for the band.
- Take all the pieces and fold them in half with the right sides touching each other. The right sides are the ones with the texture and design. This is the side you want to see on the finished product.
- After folding, take each piece, and sew their edges.
- For the center of the bow and the headband piece, sew their edges, leaving the two ends of your fabric open. You may leave an inch or two excess on the sides for handling the fabric under the sewing machine.
- When sewing under the sewing machine, it is best to use the knit stitch. If your sewing machine does not have the knit stitch option, you may opt to use the zigzag stitch.
- You can then take your bows and cut the corners of it. But be careful not to cut through the thread.
- Get one side of the piece, pinch a tiny part in the center of one of the sides of your bow piece.
- Cut a small slit. This will allow you to flip the fabric, exposing the right side. Flip all the parts now. You should now see the stitches hidden inside.
Connecting the Pieces
- Take the band piece and fold in half, making the two ends meet.
- Sew the two ends together. This will give you a round band that your baby can wear.
- Cut the excess of the band after sewing.
- You can now test the band if it fits your baby’s head. If it’s too big, you can make adjustments by stitching the band further. This will make the band smaller.
- Once you have the perfect sizes, you are now ready to assemble the bow on the band.
- Take the band piece and hold it where the stitches are.
- Get your bow and place them on top of the stitches. If you are doing a double bow, stack the pieces together first, then place them on top of the band piece where the stitches are.
- Sew the bow on the band. Doing this will leave you with a square on the band.
- Fold and make creases in the middle of the band and bow. Keep folding until you reach your desired appearance.
- Get a thread, and a needle and hand sew it in place. Once it is secured, you are now ready to put the last piece of the headband.
- Take your bow’s centerpiece and wrap it on the band.
- Sew the two ends together and cut the excess from the stitches. Be careful not to hit the thread.
- Then flip it, hiding the stitches and position it in the center of the bow.
Little girls on a headband with big bows are adorable. And as parents, you always want your kids to look great. So, if you are going to attend an event or a birthday party, pair it with a lovely headband to give an adorable overall look. Learn how to make baby headbands with big bows, so you don’t have to buy them. You can create your own. With this, you can have the design that you want, and you can decide which if you want a single or double bow. Find out more about baby headbands.